Welcome to Nookie Doodle. This is the photographic portfolio of Tam & Bao Huynh, a husband and wife photography team based in Houston, TX. We are often asked why we decided to start shooting photography together and to be quite honest – we both really enjoy preserving and documenting memories in an artistic and creative fashion. It’s really that simple.
Check out our responses to some common questions below to get a better sense of who we are. We hope you like what you see and look forward to being your photographers.
1) What is your favorite thing about each other?
- Tam: When we were in Rome for our honeymoon, a few times we heard the locals whisper "El Chino Gigante - The Chinese Giant" whenever Bao walked past. Little did they know that he's just the most peaceful playful person there is. One of his favorite movies is Hachi. It's about a dog who returns back to the same spot waiting for it's owner every single day even after the owner passes away. Bao get's all choked up every time we watch it.
- Bao: I really like that Tam can be extremely left brained organized. I'm talking about folding underwear extreme. It's pretty cool to witness such intense organized thought patterns. I really think if she puts her mind to it, she could probably make things levitate by thinking it.
2) Something you say to each other every day?
- Tam: I can't believe you did that.
- Bao: You are so pretty Tam.
3) Favorite hobbies?
- Tam: I love to cook! It works out very well because Bao loves to eat. Reading is also a huge part of my life. I can sit there and read an entire book in one day.
- Bao: I like to find and collect old vintage toys from my childhood. It's not really so much the toys that I enjoy but more the memories that are associated with each toy. I'm all about good memories.
4) So how did the name Nookie Doodle come about?
- Tam: We were trying to come up with a cool name because we didn't want to call ourselves "Tam & Bao Photography" or anything like that so I suggested Nookie since we use that as a term of endearment.
- Bao: Tam had suggested the name Nookie and at that exact same moment I really wanted a snicker doodle so we simply added 1+1 and got Nookie Doodle.
5) What did you guys do before you started shooting photography together?
- Tam: Believe it or not I actually work for a big oil & gas company crunching numbers all day so shooting photography is a great way for me to exercise the right side of my brain.
- Bao: Earlier in my career I worked in the fashion industry as an Art Director then I transitioned over to the advertising industry where I've been an Executive & Creative Director. I can honestly say that I enjoy photography the most because there is nothing more rewarding then capturing and creating a body of work that people will enjoy the rest of their lives. It doesn't get more personal and meaningful then that.
6) How would you describe your photography style?
- Tam: I would say our style is a blend of vintage, fashion, and photojournalistic. We try really very hard to shoot and capture really sincere moments with a look that is nostalgic. Couple that with the fashion art direction sense from Bao and that really about sums up our style.
- Bao: I think we are both very influenced by fashion, especially myself since I was a part of the fashion world for so long. Add to that the candid photojournalistic approach to shooting and that's really us.
7) Tell us an unknown fact about yourself.
- Tam: Before I buy a book, I always read the ending first in the store. I don't know what it is. Sad endings make me sad. So I just have to know what I'm getting myself into.
- Bao: I'm flat footed so not too many shoes fit me comfortably. However, I recently discovered these five finger shoes called Vibrams. I absolutely love them. So much so that I recently bought five pairs in the same color.
8) What photography works do you enjoy yourselves?
- Tam: I personally really enjoy lifestyle oriented works that showcase couples and families. There's just something very warm about seeing people sincerely happy.
- Bao: I really appreciate seeing journalistic photographs from third world countries. Without such great bodies of work we would be completely ignorant as to how fortunate many of us are.
9) What advice would you give someone that is looking for a photographer?
- Tam: Chemistry matters. This is the very reason why Bao and I enjoy meeting new clients over a cup of coffee. In order to produce a meaningful body of work, both parties have to be emotionally invested.
- Bao: When looking for a photographer make sure you find and select someone that sincerely cares. Your photos will have so much more life to them.
10) Name three things you love.
- Tam: I love - Bao, Cooking, and Books.
- Bao: I love - Ebay, Art, and Tam. Not in that particular order of course.
11) Favorite music?
- Tam:I love Jack Johnson!
- Bao:I actually listen to Christmas music year round. A Charlie Brown Christmas keeps me going lol.
12) What is your favorite travel destination?
- Tam: ROME! The pastries alone was worth the 24hr flight.
- Bao: I really like Rome too. It's easy going there. No rush. I like that.